Look at the advantages:
1. Blogs don’t take as long to write as a book—one to two hours max.
2. They’re published much faster. Within a week, as opposed to a year (or more). Presto! Instant gratification.
3. You can say what’s on your mind—social, political, personal, in a timely way, or just entertain — make people laugh. What’s wrong with that?
4. You can even gussy-up your work with photos and/or drawings.
5. Also, you’re making a fine contribution to the literary world. You’re helping to revive a lost art form, i.e. the familiar essay, because that’s what a blog really is. I loved those old essayists — Charles Lamb, Christopher Morly, S.J. Perelman, Erma Bombeck . . .
6. And as for posterity (if you care about things like that) you can always have your blogs bound and send them to the Library of Congress to be copyrighted.
— Robin Hathaway
P.S. Of course there is the small matter of remuneration . . .