Monday, January 2, 2012

Post-Holiday Letdown…

…is what I’m suffering from right now. It happens every year as the night follows day. But this year it seems worse than usual. I have sought advice. One friend suggested a brisk walk. I tried that and all I saw were rows of naked, abandoned fir trees lining the curb. And, in the stores, signs for Christmas decorations at half-price. Then, to top it off, one clerk was arranging valentines on the shelves. Valentines on January first!

Another friend suggested I go to a movie. A good thought, but when you come out from that dark refuge, you are struck all over again by the grim realities of life. Bills, thank you notes, returning unwanted gifts, etc. My husband thinks he has the perfect solution. He says, “Don’t enjoy the holidays, then you won’t feel letdown afterward.” In other words, stay down all the time. Not for me. I’d rather have the ups and downs, even though the downs are painful.

I have compiled a small collection of quotes to share with anyone out there who is suffering from the same malady as I am. Here they are:

“Christmas isn’t a season. It’s a feeling.” Edna Ferber

“Christmas, children, is not a date. It is a state of mind.” Mary Ellen Chase

“I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” Charles Dickens

Happy New Year!

Robin Hathaway

4 comments:

  1. I like the Charles Dickens saying the best!!! I see you as a Christmas kind of lady, always smiling and thinking good thoughts most of the time!!! Let's get together and do a martin on Valentines day to keep the seasons rolling along, happy, happy, happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too,am with Dickens. But hold on. Christmas is not offically over until the 6th of January, no matter what those heathen store swidow signs say. So we need nine ladies dancing. Robin you are one. I will dance too. Margaret, will you join us? Now we only need six more. Who will join us? Dancing will surely cure the blues. My computer is playing "Alone Together," right now--a swingy version sung by Peggy Lee. That's what we'll do, dance alone together. One. Two. Three.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Peggy Lee, she always made me feel good!!! I could join the dance!!! Cure my blues!!! Is it one, two, three, kick!!! Enjoy the new year!!! But then when have the Chinese New year coming up this month, too. So, we got lots of things to celebrate!!! It ain't over until the rather large opera singer belts out a strong note and makes you sit up and notice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I'll join in a group dance and celebration - of a new happier new year too!! let the good times roll!!!! tjs

    ReplyDelete