Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Contest: Win an Autographed Copy of Blood Tango


First the beginning of the story:



Like many of his ilk, Malcolm Tent was a fisherman given to exaggeration.  One day he had an experience he was sure no one would believe so he never told anyone the story until he told it to me.  Now I will tell it to you.
It seems Mal was out in his boat fishing for carp one day.  The fishing was good, and he was reeling them in.  As he was removing a big one from his hook, he pricked the end of his finger, which started to bleed a little.  Mal reached into his pocket for his handkerchief.  As he pulled it out, his wallet fell out of the pocket, over the side of the boat, and began to sink out of sight before he could grab it.

Mal groaned, but he hardly had a second to comprehend the accident when a fish came to the surface with the wallet balanced on its nose.  Soon another fish came to the surface, and like a pair of seals with a ball at the zoo, they flipped the wallet around in a game of catch, and finally back into the boat.
Mal gave up fishing and exaggerating after that.  And he only once described how he became the only human being ever to see ….

A copy of Blood Tango to the first person to guess the ending and write it in the comments below. 

17 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. My copy of Blood Tango arrived last week.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. S, Thanks! I hope you enjoy the book. Give a guess at the punch line anyway. If you win, I will send the book to whomever you say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is driving me crazy. Carp, wallet, money, toss, catch, fish, hook... Now, I'm going to spend the long weekend trying to figure out the pun (even though I am of course ineligible). I'm reminded of the line in the movie MASTER AND COMMANDER: "He who would pun would pick a pocket."

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brain, which is incapable of punning. Have begged for help via tweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To see... two carp playing catch with a wallet. No, that isn't particularly clever. Um... Anyway here I go to buy a copy of Blood Tango. I hear it's a corker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep going! You are getting close. When I kid, playing games, we would have said, "You are getting warm, very warm. You are getting hot!" But today does not seem like a day when you would be happy to hear that. At least not in the Big Baking Apple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You folks are way above my I.Q. capability in the heat of boiling Manhattan! I look forward to cheering for the winner! tjstraw

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ever to see… a purse between two fish… carp returning a wet wallet… a lost wallet bouncing between carp… arghhh…

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm REALLY glad I have a signed copy already, because I adore puns ... but this one has me stumped!

    By the way ... you all REALLY REALLY want this book. It's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hint number 2: the third word is "carp..."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll try... the only carp I know is carpe diem.... tjs

    ReplyDelete
  12. And all I can think of is a carp to carp money transfer. ARGGH!

    Annamaria, you are a clever clogs and I'm feeling distinctly lacking here.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope everyone appreciates my never ending willingness to humiliate myself here.

    How about "a carp to carp toss?"

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  14. Getting very close. The first letter of the PUNch line is "w."

    ReplyDelete