I was not a big follower until I learned that her demise occurred only one block from my home on East 93rd Street!!! Since her death I've become an ardent fan.
All the fascinating facts that have surfaced in the media about this remarkable woman:
- Born to Russian immigrant parents, Dr. Meyer and Beatrice Molinsky
- A brilliant student, graduated from Barnard College a Phi Beta Kappa
- A woman beloved by millions, who gave a great deal of her wealth to the needy of this planet
- A lifelong fighter, a woman who fought with honor on all levels of a woman's professional life
- Called in the reknowned paper, The Jewish Week, 'Yente-in-Chief'
- Known as a very pretty woman before multiple cosmetic surgeries
- Devoted to her daughter, grandson and relatives
- Her humor was unsurpassed
"You've heard of A Cup, B Cup, and C Cup. Well, you're looking at demitasse!"
"I want a Jewish delivery… to be knocked out in the delivery room and wake up two weeks later at the hair dresser's!"
"Dress by Oscar de la Rental; body by Oscar Meyer"
Joan Rivers peppered her routines with Yiddish words to proclaim her Jewish identity.
Of Elizabeth Taylor, she said, "Her thighs are going condo!" and "She wears stretch caftans!" "She has more chins than a Chinese phone book!"
I've grown this last month to have a new and tremendous respect for this woman, who was funnier than most of us will ever be!
I'd love to hear from you… what is your feeling about Joan Rivers? How were you affected by her sad and untimely death?
Thelma J. Straw, who doesn't have the funny gift but loves those who do!