Wednesday, June 24, 2015

In the Aftermath of Murder

It’s Not Easy Bein’ Sad




The news reports could make one despair.

The news reports could make even an optimist like me terminally angry.

The news makes your heart hurt.

If your heart doesn’t hurt, go away now.  I don’t want to know you.

At times like these, I find consolation in music.  The Dies Irae from Verdi’s Requiem,  Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings can turn my anger or sadness into sound and somehow make them bearable. 

This week, I found something to listen to over and over.  The choice may surprise you.  I don’t know why this song by the great Joe Raposo was what I craved.  Here it is.  Though it brings tears to my eyes, it calms me and makes me feel better.  I am putting it here in the hopes that it will do the same for you.




Annamaria Alfieri




6 comments:

  1. I have had a hard time getting back to writing. Murder as entertainment seemed so much the wrong thing to be doing. Helpless is mostly what I felt. Discouraged, despairing even, that this moment too would end in no change. No real change. I want those flags down off public buildings. But I'm worried that conversation will end up being the only one we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I feel despondent about gun control. There are actually people in the country who think we'd all be safer if everyone was armed
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That assumes that we all want to be armed. What about the rights of those of us who do NOT want to go around with a gun? Is that the best we can do in America?

      Delete
  3. Having served as a teacher of bright teenagers for many years, I believe there MUST be a failsafe way to discern who these sick young people are - before they kill. We have had too many of these irrational murders in this country - on the one hand we proclaim we are the most wonderful land on the planet - but no other advanced society keeps on producing these young killers in such multitudes... tjs

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all put your fingers on the pulse of the problem--guns in the hands of mindless young monsters. One person tried UNSUCCESSFULLY tired to down a plane by starting a fire in his shoe and everyday millions of people worldwide have to take off their shoes before boarding planes. White men kill babies in their school and praying people in their church and we are not allowed to have gun control. Even after decades of the MAJORITY of the populace demanding it. And the same politicians who will not act go around calling this the greatest country in the world. IT'S NUTS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can only pray the 2016 voting will help this situation.... tjs

    ReplyDelete