Friday, December 28, 2012

The 2012 Retrospective

The time has come to look back over the past year, pointing with pride, viewing with alarm, shuddering with fear and loathing. It was a mixed bag, almost more so than most years. People died that I was quite fond of. Others came down with grave illnesses. We had dreadful storms. The Lambertville water grew as foul as anything I've ever experienced coming out of a tap. They'll fix it on January 13 of next year, they claim. Don't hold your breath. Or do. The smell is still awful.

The canal bank, ravaged by Hurricane Sandy
On the other hand, my candidate won the election, and if you were unhappy about that I can only hope that things won't go as badly for you as you fear they will. In other good news, St. Andrews Lambertville, my little Episcopal church, has made such strides with its music program that we are singing Bach cantatas in German, with a small pickup orchestra, and we sound pretty good. In fact we sing so much in German these days that if you were to wander in off the street you'd think you were in a Lutheran church. Which is perfectly appropriate, come to think of it, since the Episcopalians have been in full communion with the Lutherans for years.

I got a flu shot, which is a plus, since I had no reaction to it whatever and in fact forgot about it right away. I finished writing MONKEYSTORM, quite an amusing book. Look for it soon. Also on the plus side, my kitchen was spared the annual infestation of meal moths that causes me to have to throw out all the flour, rice, corn meal, waffle mix, and in a really bad year baking soda, every September. (Imagine laying eggs in a box of baking soda and expecting your offspring to thrive.) So when I was forced to throw out everything in the refrigerator and freezer on the third day of the power outage from Hurricane Sandy, I at least had some flour and corn meal, not that we had any way to cook anything.

Furthermore the world didn't end. That was a definite plus. I wouldn't have said I was paying any attention to the Mayan apocalypse until I went to write down a doctor's appointment for next January on the calendar we keep on the refrigerator door. There wasn't one for next year. I forgot to buy a refill. Or maybe I secretly believed I wouldn't need it.

In any case, have a very happy new year. Stay well. We will try to do the same.

Kate Gallison

4 comments:

  1. And a very happy new year to all the writers and readers of crime writer's chronicle! Let's hope the illnesses and hardships many of us have endured in 2012 will fade into the mist and that 2013 will bring everyone good health, prosperity, big book deals and a lot of smiles! Thelma Straw in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my age, Kate, it's always nice to see the dawn of next year, rather than be absent.
    Bob K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, is that the Weston Canal? Once long ago, on my way to a client, I drove along Weston (Westin?) Canal Road when the cherry blossoms were resplendent on a sunny morning. I just happened to be listening to Madama Butterfly in the car at the time. Some memories are of perfection. I hope 2013 brings you many moments like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year to you, too, Thelma, and everyone else. Bob, don't give me that guff, I'm older than you are. Annamaria, it's the Delaware and Raritan Canal Feeder that runs through Lambertville and right past our house. Three times a week I walk along it with my friend Debbie and her two little dogs. The scene is ever changing and always charming.

    ReplyDelete