Monday, September 19, 2011

6 Random Tips for Writers Gleaned from Old Notebooks*

1. Don’t be afraid to write badly. You can always fix it later.

Walter Mosley

2. You learn writing by writing.

John McPhee

3. Don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Anonymous

4. I got my best ideas while doing the dishes.

Agatha Christie

5. Make every sentence tell.

E.B. White

6. I’m sorry this letter is so long. I didn’t have time to write a short one.

– George Bernard Shaw



Robin Hathaway

* These are not exact quotes but as close as I could scribble them down during panels and talks at conferences and conventions.

2 comments:

  1. Add another one to your list: it is a wise writer who tries to learn something from everyone, every experience, every other writer and is not too proud to admit it. Thelma

    ReplyDelete
  2. All ways good to hear from the best!!!

    ReplyDelete