Thursday, September 22, 2011

Recipe Time

I see that it's nine o'clock Friday night, and I haven't posted anything on the Crime Writers' Chronicle. So here comes a recipe.

Normally when I post a recipe it's because I have just spent an hour composing a crazed rant, after which I have suddenly recovered enough wits to see how offensive most people will find it. And how embarrassed I will be tomorrow when I see that I have actually posted it. Either that, or I have stopped to consider how many ways I could get sued.

This is not the case today. Today I wandered into Novel Land, forgetting entirely that it was Friday, and put together a chapter in the Work in Progress, the chapter where the crazy woman in the library, passing herself off as the Story Lady to evade pursuing police, tells a story to the Brownie troop that is so frightening it causes them all to wet their pants.

After I wrote this chapter I cooked

CHICKEN CACCIATORE


Chicken, cut in serving pieces, rinsed, dried, salted and peppered
2 T olive oil



Heat oil in a big heavy skillet. Brown the chicken on all sides and remove from pan.

Remove excess fat, turn down the heat and put in the pan

1 onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
3/4 t rosemary
1/2 t dried sage



Cook and stir until onions are golden. Add

1 or 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped


Cook half a minute. Put the chicken back and add

1/2 cup dry red wine


Cook over medium-high heat, scraping up the bits, until wine is nearly all evaporated. Add

A cup or so of tomatoes
3/4 c of chicken stock



Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add

1/2 c good black olives, if desired, pitted
8 oz sliced mushrooms



Cook, covered, for 10 minutes more. Uncover and reduce the sauce slightly.

Serve with polenta and a nice green salad. Delicious.

Kate Gallison

1 comment:

  1. Ain't a cook, just an eater, so I'll wait in hope, see what happens.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete