Recently I was cleaning out some bureau drawers and came across a small wooden box that belonged to my grandmother. In the bottom was a piece of paper folded over. I had never noticed it before and I doubt if it had been noticed for over a hundred years. I unfolded it, and this is what I read:
"How to Partake of a Pinch of Snuff
The true artistic method of ‘taking a pinch’ consists of twelve operations:
- Take the Snuff-box with your right hand.
- Pass the Snuff-box to your left hand.
- Rap the Snuff-box
- Open the Snuff-box
- Present th box to the company
- Receive it after going the round.
- Gather up the Snuff in the box by striking the side with the middle and forefinger.
- Take up a pinch with the right hand.
- Keep the Snuff a moment or two between the fingers before carrying it to the nose.
- Put Snuff to your nose.
- Sniff it with precision by both nostrils, and without any grimace.
- Close the Snuff-box with a flourish.
A. Steinmetz, Tobacco, London, 1857"
So you think you have problems?